Initial Licensure Programs Admission Requirements
Admission Criteria for the School of EducationAdmission to the university does not guarantee admission to a major in the School of Education. To be accepted into the School of Education, teacher candidates are required to have completed a Criminal Background Check (CBC); Tuberculosis (TB) Test; Basic Skills Statement of Understanding; School of Education Application; and have established their ELIS (Educator Licensure Information System for Illinois).
GPA Requirements for Student Teaching
At the time of applying for student teaching, a teacher candidate must have a cumulative program GPA of at least 2.75. One semester prior to student teaching a teacher candidate is required to have a cumulative program GPA of at least 3.0.
In addition to the GPA requirements, in order to enroll in student teaching a teacher candidate must be fully admitted to the School of Education as outlined above in Admission Criteria for the School of Education and have passed the Basic Skills Test, passed the Illinois State Board of Education Content Area Test(s) and have no outstanding negative dispositions.
Candidates must demonstrate satisfactory progress through completion of all required coursework and credit hours, including student teaching and successful completion of the edTPA, in order to be recommended for teacher licensure.
Illinois State Board of Education Program Changes
The School of Education is continuously redesigning its programs based on current research, ISBE mandates, state law and the university’s conceptual framework. All teacher candidates must be cognizant of the possibility that a redesign may alter requirements included in the catalog and the program of study could be subjected to new required program changes.
Important Admission and Informational Documents
- School of Education Professional Educator Initial Licensure Application
- School of Education Teacher Licensure Program-Statement of Understanding for Initial Licensure Requirements
- Instructions for Creating an Account with the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS)
- Instructions for Department of Children and Family Services Training (DCFS)
- Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status
- Fingerprint/Criminal Background Check and Tuberculosis (TB) Test Process Instructions
- Professional Educator License Disposition Instrument Policy
- LiveText Information
- West Aurora School District 129 Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status
- West Aurora School District 129 Mandated Reporter Training Manual Signature Form