Institutional Review Board
This website provides information for the Aurora University Institutional Review Board (IRB), including its current chair/membership, monthly application deadlines, IRB review meeting dates, IRB application materials, and resources/guidelines for research activities. If you are an AU student or faculty planning to conduct human subjects research, please consult the information and resources on this page to assist you with the IRB application and review process. Please contact the current IRB chair, Dr. Austin Pickup, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-844-7597 if you have any questions.
Current IRB Membership
- Austin Pickup (Chair) – School of Education
- Valerie Flynn – School of Arts and Sciences
- William Martin – School of Arts and Sciences
- John McCormack – School of Arts and Sciences
- Dawn Livorsi – School of Social Work
- Caleb Lewis – Dunham School of Business and Public Policy
- Stephanie Yelton – School of Nursing
- Haley Zimmerman – School of Health Science
- Amber Pareja – Unaffiliated Community Member (IMSA)
- Jennifer Buckley – Administrative Affiliate
Please contact your school representative, or the IRB Chair, with any questions regarding IRB.
Please see the presentation, "How to Complete an IRB Application" for details on the application process.
The following is the current version of the Aurora University IRB Manual. Please consult the manual prior to completing the IRB application as it contains pertinent information regarding levels of review, review processes, and guidelines regarding various human subjects research activities.
Human Subjects Research Training
You are required to complete human subjects research training for application of your human subjects research. Follow the steps below and attach your certificate of completion with your IRB application materials.
To complete the tutorial visit citiprogram.org and follow the instructions bellow to create an account and select the appropriate course.
- Click the “Register Button.”
- Select Aurora University as the institutional affiliation and follow the prompts to complete your registration. Use your AU email address to register.
- On the select curriculum page, answer the questions as appropriate to add yourself to various courses.
a. For question four, select “Social and Behavioral Research Investigators” unless you are certain you are better suited for another option.
b. For question eight, select the course appropriate for your research type. Most will select “Social and Behavioral Responsible Conduct of Research.”
c. Select appropriately for any other training you are interested in. For example, you may want to learn about FERPA or Conflicts of Interest. These are not IRB required training.
- Complete the training and attach the confirmation of your completion to your application. Note that the certificate is valid for 3 years from the date of completion.
Level of Review
Human Subjects Determination Form – Use this document to help you determine if your study is considered research. The form is to be used as a guide, and if you have further questions or concerns, please contact your representative – see above information. If you are a student, your instructor may still require you to submit a proposal to the IRB even if regulations don't require it.
IRB Proposal Application and Sample Consent Form
Application Cover Page – Include this cover page (as a separate document) when you email the IRB chair. This checklist is designed to speed your application process.
Elements of Informed Consent – Please use this form to assist you in including all of the important sections of your consent form.
Below are forms that may be needed as part of a current IRB application or after your application has been approved. They include forms for requesting a waiver of documenting informed consent, making modifications to previously approved research, renewing approved research annually, reporting any adverse events or injuries that occur during research, and closing out your research study. Please consult the IRB Manual for information about when these documents are applicable. Please email these forms to the current IRB chair.
- Project Renewal Form – Use of the project renewal form when your research project extends beyond the one-year IRB approval cycle.
- Project Modification Form – use this form when you need to request modifications to already approved research prior to the one-year IRB approval cycle.
- Reporting Adverse Events Form – submit this form to the IRB chair as soon as possible if any adverse events are experienced as a result of research. If participants are exposed to any immediate risks as a result of research, stop research immediately (unless halting research would exacerbate or create further risks) and contact the IRB chair.
- Study Closure Form – submit this form when all data collection/involvement of human participants is completed and collected data has been de-identified in order to close out the study.
Research with Children
Children under the age of 18 are considered a protected class. In order to conduct research with them, researchers need to obtain the child's assent and a parent or guardian's permission.
IRB Application Deadlines
May 2, 2022
June 6, 2022
July 5, 2022
August 1, 2022
IRB Meeting Dates
May 9, 2022
June 13, 2022
July 12, 2022
August 8, 2022