Emergency Notification System
AU Emergency Alerts
Broadcast Notification System
Aurora University is equipped with an emergency notification system that allows the university to broadcast sirens and messages from the roofs of Eckhart Hall and Centennial Hall in the case of severe weather or other campus emergencies.
In the event that there is an emergency on campus, the system will notify the campus with the following alerts:
- Weather siren: The weather siren will be used in the case of a tornado or other severe weather concern. The siren will be followed by a message to immediately seek shelter in the designated area for your building. Every room on campus contains a map identifying the severe weather zone for the building. Stay in your designated area until you hear the all-clear message.
- Listen to a sample of the weather siren > (Download MP3 file)
- Warbling siren: The warbling siren indicates that there is a non-weather-related emergency on campus and will direct you to shelter in place. You should stay where you are, or go to the nearest room if you are in a hallway, lock the door, stay out of sight and wait for the all-clear message.
- Listen to a sample of the warbling siren > (Download MP3 file)
- Voice announcements: Voice announcements will give you further information and instructions to ensure your safety. Follow the instructions of the voice message until you hear the all-clear message.
Severe Weather Definitions
- Thunderstorm watch
- The potential exists for the development of thunderstorms which may produce large hail or damaging winds
- When a watch is issued, you should go about your normal activities, but keep an eye to the sky and an ear to the National Weather Service's weather radio or local radio and television stations for further updates and possible warnings
- Thunderstorm warning – a severe thunderstorm is occurring or is imminent based on Doppler radar information
- Tornado watch – means that conditions are favorable for severe thunderstorms to form, but it also means that a few storms may be capable of producing a tornado
- Tornado warning
- A tornado is either occurring or imminent based on radar
- You should take cover immediately